Whether it’s an electric or gas water heaters first of all switch it off
- Shutoff valve of cold water transfer line which controls the whole water heater should be turned off.
- In electric water heater shut down the circuit breaker or open the fuse. Be sure electric supply is fully stopped.
- When you are an owner of a gas water heater then stop the gas supply of tank. Switch off the main gas shutoff pipe. Check the pilot light. When it is out you are sure that there is no gas supply.
Vacant the Hot Water Carrier Tank
Your water heater is stop. The next step is drain out water from the tank
- Faucet should be opened near hot water tank
- A hose should be joined on drain valve
- Remaining ends of hose will be placed over floor to drain
- Care full when opening or running draining process as it doesn’t block drain valve
Remove Other Lines
Cold water and hot water supply should be disconnected. Gas line and electric line will be switched off also
- Discharge the connection of gas line when you have a gas water heater
- If it is an electric water heater disconnect electricity
- Remove plumbing using pipe wrench or slip connection plier, groove plier and tongue plier
- Cold water line which holds outlet pipe should be shut off
- Hot water pipe also will be turned off at union connector of the heater
- Flue from heater should be shut off
When all these points are shut down then it’s time to forget the old one and launch the new water heater.
Remove Old and Replace with New Water Heater
You have to focus on some important fact when removing the old water heater and replacing it with a new one
- Replacing a new water heater is a heavy work. So hire an assistant for the task
- Debris removal on the place of old water heater is a useful work to make the whole work clean and comfortable
- Follow the previous plumbing position and place the new water heater on same position
- Keep balance between the level of previous and new heater. Fix the position of legs using torpedo level otherwise full level
New Heater Fitting Installation
Water heater fitting is recognized including several fitting
- Install the pressure and temperature valve and then discharge the drain pipe
- For galvanized fitting use pipe dope and cover it with Teflon tape smoothly
- Fulfill other essential installation for perfect direction in every constructed fitting
Learning Resources List: